Tuesday, October 19, 2010

So I stumped my NeuroSurgeon!

I had an appointment with my NeuroSurgeon this morning and have successfully stumped him! I'm not sure if that's a good thing however considering we are dealing with a tumor lol One of the first things he said to me was, "to be honest with you we still don't know exactly what we are dealing with." He went on to say that my case is rare and quite unique. They beleive it's cystic in nature because there are no indicators that it's a solid mass and he went over the different options for surgery that he has been toying with. He thinks what he will do though is to cut a 3" x 3" piece of my skull out on my right temple and go in there and once they go in they will simply burst the cyst and try to remove as much of the cyst wall as possible as well as catch fluid from it. They will then put me back together and he will send any of the fluid that they can collect and any of the cyst wall lining for pathology which will help to determine whether it is malignant or benign.


Tomorrow I have to go back to the Hospital for some more Tests, a CT Scan, get some dots put on my head that I have to wear until surgery so he knows where to cut and then I have to do some paperwork and go straight into my pre-op. And of course Thursday is my surgery day. Surgery is scheduled for 8am but I have to be at the hospital for 6am that day. I asked my Surgeon about my Hospital stay and he said that I will go to a special observation floor and that I could be out of the hospital on the weekend. So that's all folks!

~Tara

1 comment:

  1. The best of luck to you, Tara. I'll keep you in my thoughts on Thursday.


    Karebear68 from SmartCanucks. :)

    ReplyDelete